9.17.2007

Marathon Man #1

So let’s get one thing straight, my wife is amazing. She’s the total package: smart, hot, athletic, musical, smoking hot, amazing with kids, and soooooooooo hot!!! If you’ve met her I can guarantee that you’ve thought one of the following:

1. Dang!!! She is totally hot! Why’d she end up marrying a guy who at best looks like a wet sack of flour when he takes off his shirt?

2. Dang!!! She is pretty close to perfect! Todd didn’t just pull the wool over her eyes during courtship; he tied on wool goggles that she still hasn’t taken off.

So what does this have to do with marathons? Well Katie is a run-aholic and has run four of them since we’ve been married, and as a result is in amazing shape. Me on the other hand? I ran a half marathon two years ago in preparation for Christmas in Hawaii with Katie’s family, but in general I have never made a habit out of exercise. Don’t get me wrong, I can hold my own in most sports (basketball, volleyball, tennis and golf to name a few) but I have never been disciplined enough and as a result I am always fighting to keep the weight down and the body image up. Add in my bad eating habits and I’m setting myself up for weight trouble and even risking future health problems. Not to mention that I always have a bout with poor eating in September since I’m on the road for three straight weeks, eating on the company’s dime.

So one day, after a not-so-pretty run in with the Wendy’s Dollar Menu, I decided that I was going to run a marathon. It’s going to be painful and I’m sure I’m going to want to give up, but I think it will be worth it, both for me and as a great way to bond with my super active wife. So I’ll be updating you all on my progress each week.

How’d I do in week #1? I had a target of running six miles and only ran 4.5. I was really sucking wind both times and felt stiff enough on Saturday (I played golf and mowed the lawn in the morning and was feeling a little sun-stroked) that I decided to wait until this week (week #2) to start again. My goal this week is eight miles.

More next week.

3 comments:

Lytle said...

the same thing.

jmulls said...

Get to know Advil really well. I blew out my knee at the training week of 30 miles over 6 days. Doctor gave me the option of surgery or 2400 mgs of Advil. I took the latter. Never been the same since, but my wince is awesome when I shift gears in my 97 Jeep Cherokee.

Lytle said...

So Todd, that comment, was for the post below: "What do you think of when you wake up?"... I would let this slip and not make a correction, but then it kinda sounds like I'm either: saying I'm "doing the same thing," like running a marathon, or that I'm "thinking the same thing" that your wife is soooooo HOT. And although Katie is quite the gem, me agreeing with the soooooo HOT comment is bordering on weird.