1.09.2008

What I Did on My Winter Vacation

Hey Blournalers!
No, I'm not dead, nor have I forgotten about my little niche on the Interwebs. I've been very busy the last few weeks and am finally finding some time to write again. Here's a brief recap of what I've been up to the last three weeks.

Church Christmas Party
Our congregation's theme was "A Night in Jerusalem." And while we didn't have the budget that other churches have for this kind of thing, we did a pretty decent job. I was asked to play the part of King Herod, and I decided that I'd make my own costume instead of doing the typical "wear a bathrobe and towel around your head." It was a lot of work, and Katie helped a lot, but I think the end result was pretty sweet:


FAQs:
1. Yes, the beard is painted on. I only have seven facial hair and they are located on my neck. I used the same technique as my Halloween costume from last year.

2. Yes, those are Christmas tree beads I'm using as a belt.

3. I have a serious look on my face because I'm in character, and my character was a pretty bad dude.


Katie Graduates from Texas Tech Nursing School
Katie worked her buns off for this and couldn't be happier. I am so proud of her and am glad that she's found a career she really loves. You can read about the celebration lunch we had on her blog.


Christmas in Arizona
Katie's family is from Afton, Wyoming. It's cold there. Really cold. So they try to spend Christmas someplace warm and this year we all went to Scottsdale for a week of rest and relaxation. Katie's sister also coordinated her wedding with the trip, so the entire family was present to see Carrie and James get hitched. She looked beautiful and he's a baller that I look forward to hanging out with more in the future.


Hanging out with Uncle Jim
Katie and I decided to drive to Phoenix from Austin (920 miles!!!) so that we could stop through Tucson on our way back and visit my Uncle Jim. He has several unique hobbies, which makes hanging out really fun. As you can see by the pictures, Jim is a big motorcycle aficionado with plenty of extra duds for us to try out. He's also a big country dancer. The thing we like best about Jim is his artistic side. He has made several painting that hang up in our house and as a Christmas gift he gave us another beautiful painting (pictures coming soon).
Life and Death on the I-10
After a few passing up the sketchy hotel options in El Paso, we decided to drive back from Tucson in a single shot. That meant driving from 7pm to 9am the day before New Years. I drove through the night and Katie drove the last few hours so I could get some sleep. I don't recommend doing that, but I also don't recommend stopping anywhere in between.
So there's a recap of my last three weeks (not to mention all the work). I promise to write more in the future and I hope you have a great 2008!






3 comments:

jmulls said...

Boy, I am glad you are back on the internets. I was forced to read the Steve Erkel blog in your absence.

Liz said...

Ok, when I made that drive with mom and dad, we stopped in Ft. Stockton and for some reason that place creeped the hell out of me. Like Texas Chainsaw massacre or something. I wouldv'e gladly driven through the night to avoid a night at the Super 8 there.

lifelawandliterature.blogspot.com said...

That's a good look for you.