9.13.2007

Travelling in Style

I found out late yesterday afternoon that my ride to the airport from Golden this morning wasn’t planning on picking me up and I’d have to find my own way to the airport. Public transportation was not an option (too far away from where I was staying) and the Super Shuttle could only pick me up at 4:00am for a 9:30am flight, so my only choice was a taxi. I called Yellow Cab and they quoted me a price of $90.

It wasn’t like I was going to have to fork over that ridiculous amount of money from my own wallet, but that didn’t make me feel any better because I don’t want to cost the company extra money if I don’t have to (I hope my boss read that).

At that moment my wife’s Aunt Annie, with whom I was staying, mentioned that she used a limo service to get to the airport and they only charged her $75 for the trip. Again, that’s a lot of money, but it was cheaper and more convenient than any other option so I told her to give her driver, a Moroccan guy name Lazar, a call.


Flash forward to this morning. Waiting for me outside my Aunt-in-law’s house is a beautiful, black Lincoln Towncar with dark-tinted windows; Lazar patiently waiting to take my bag and open my door. In his late 50’s with salt-and-pepper hair, he’s easily one of the nicest, gentlest men I have ever met. No doubt that he is a wonderful father and grandfather. We talked the whole way about Morocco and how Katie and I need to go there for vacation as soon as possible.

For the first time in my life, I was the one in the dark limousine. I was the one that was too important for a bus or taxi. I watched as other drivers passed, trying to catch a glimpse of the VIP behind the dark-tinted glass. “I wonder where he is going?” “He must be important.” “Maybe I’ll recognize him.”

I hope the tint was dark enough. No doubt they’d be disappointed at what they’d see.


1 comment:

Kristi said...

Nice work! Who would have thought that you could travel with class for less than a yellow cab. I really enjoyed linking to your other blog too, who knew you had such deep thoughts about Brittany Spears, I know I learned a lot :).