12.03.2007

I Should Have Been Born in Japan

I love comedy. I love it. I love laughing and I love making people laugh. And ever since Al Gore invented the Internet and people stated putting funny videos on it, I've had a steady stream of material to share with others.

Over time I've learned that I have a pretty random/weird sense of humor. I can usually gauge if the general public will laugh at what I think is funny by running it past my wife. If she laughs, then I'm probably safe to share it with others. But if she gives me that "what-was-I-thinking-when-I-said-'I do?'" look, then I should use caution.

Here's an example of something that got me "the look:"




Pretty funny, right? But also kind of random. So I've seen a couple Japanese videos recently that made me realize that I was born in the wrong country, or that I was adopted (and if that's true, then my parents have a lot of explaining to do. Not to mention the fact that I am a genetic wonder, since one would never deduce my Japanese heritage by looking at me). The Japanese sense of humor, or at least their TV entertainment, perfectly fits my sense of humor.

Take for example any video from this game show. While the English voice-overs completely change the intent, the competitions themselves are hilarious and bizarre, and my kind of funny. And this game show punishes contestants that can't finish tongue-twisters:



What amazes me: the rest of them actually go through with it after the first guy gets nailed. You couldn't pay enough to do that. No way.


The premise of the following video answers one of my long standing inner debates: would the fastest speed walker in the world run instead of walk if attacked. Who hasn't asked themselves this question?





Answer: he runs (and I love when the commentator says, "and he doesn't run very fast" at the 2:24 mark).

Can you imagine being the creative talent behind this show? "Okay, Mrs. Executive Producer, we've got this idea for a sketch, but we're going to need to fly in the world champion speed walker from Ecuador, lie to him, and then attack him with Samurai." And then the producer says "yes!" This would be my dream job!

Or how about being the writers behind these two Fanta commercials? (Credit to Double M for finding them first)






Pure genius! Do you agree? What would be your Japanese game show or commercial idea?

3 comments:

Anne said...

ok--the mantage is high comedy. i mean really funny. i'm with you on that one, todd.

Irene said...

I love barats and bereta, but yeah they're very random sometimes. Loved the run vs. walk video; thanks for wasting my lunch break. ^_~

Bryce, Jessica, Isaac, Sophie, Ivy said...

Classic dude, absolutely classic... and yes i think you truly are japanese, that would explain that thing that you never want to tell anyone about. i'm sorry i just can't keep the secret anymore. it's time you told the world todd.....