3.21.2008

The Men's Restroom #2

Section 1: Sight and Sound
(This post is the second in a series. To read the introduction and see a list of sections, please refer to The Men's Restroom introductory post.)

At no point in the course of a normal day is a man more vulnerable and exposed than while using a public restroom. With only thin metal dividers to separate himself from others who also wish they could have just held it until they got home, he wants nothing more than to quietly make his offering to the porcelain gods and be on his way. This is in stark contrast to the safety and comfort of using one’s own commode, where one might feel inclined to bring a magazine or newspaper, a personal gaming device or other object that says: “this is my throne, and it’s going to be a while.”

No, the time men spend in a public restroom should be very private, very personal; and it deserves the same quiet reverence that one might invoke at church. This brings us to the first Guideline:

1. Noise of any kind, by anyone, for any reason, is strictly prohibited within the restroom­. With the exception of toilets flushing, sinks running and paper towels dispensing; there is never a reason to make a sound, be it verbal or otherwise.

Talking with anyone in the restroom is an egregious violation of Guidelines, as doing so creates a cloud of fear that causes those in attendance to begin to question their trust in this delicate ecosystem we have spent millennia trying to establish. If entering the restroom with a colleague or friend (never a good idea), your conversation should be put on hold once the first member of the group passes through the door of the restroom. You can pick up right where you left off once everyone has exited. This ensures that your group, and anyone who had the decency to come in alone, will have a peaceful experience.

Beyond talking, any other form of interaction should be kept at a minimum. If eye contact is inadvertently made, a short nod and a closed-lipped smile is a great way to say, “Hello there. Aren’t we lucky to live in this golden age of sanitary services? Now break eye contact with me or I’ll be forced to kill you.”

While using a urinal, if you absolutely have to look anywhere else but down, refer to the following diagram for the visual “Safe-T” Zone. Focusing your gaze outside of this zone, and especially attempting to make eye contact with anyone else at this pinnacle of awkwardness, is expressly prohibited.


(It also should be noted that the gentleman on the left apparently thinks he’s competing in a rodeo. He’s not, and neither are you, so keep both hands on the wheel. You are not impressing anyone.)


As far as making non-verbal noises whilst taking care of business, we don’t care if you’re having a heart attack or passing multiple kidney stones; keep it to yourself and let us do what we have to do in peace. Grunting, bowel noises and loud wiping can ruin people’s days, and even their lives. If you absolutely must make noise, time your ghastly sound with a flushing toilet for concealment. If you can predict in advance of your visit that you’ll likely be making racket of some kind, consider waiting until the restroom is completely vacant before commencing. If you are genetically engineered to sound like a mortally wounded elephant (or that grape crushing lady), it’s probably best to get your cycle to match up with times you are at home, thus saving you the embarrassment, and us the nightmares.

Additionally, it should go without saying that high fives and handshakes are big no-no’s, but we’ve all seen it happen, so to be sure we’re covered:

2. Physical contact with anyone else while in the restroom is punishable by death. Seriously, you don’t even have to guess where their hands have been so give it a few minutes to let the germs fall off.

Which leads us to our third and final Guideline:

3. Always wash your hands. Just do it. The male mind is acutely aware of a lack of sink noises after a flush. If you don't wash your hands you'll forever be known in our minds as “That Guy.”

And you don’t want to be that guy.



The next section of The Men’s Restroom is entitled: “Process and Positioning.”

18 comments:

Royalcow said...

I propose an update that it is acceptable to rinse after #1, but soap must be involved after #2. These are of course work rules since any other time is a free-for-all (don't get me started on bar bathrooms).

Liz said...

Whoa... somebody is proposing no soap? That is actually really gross. Looks like Andy is "that guy."

I am a female, so I really don't know about any of this. What I do know is that at my old work I saw men taking newspapers, magazines, even FILES (that I would later have to touch) into the bathroom.

Here is my rule: what goes in does not come out. Sure, be gross, and take a newspaper in there, but you'd better throw it in the trash when you're done.

I also don't think that water bottles or any other drinking device should ever enter a bathroom. You just don't know what germs are flying around in there.

Royalcow said...

Ouch. Well, I figure urine is sterile and water based, meaning that soap wouldn't do much to rinse anything that straight water can't. If I can channel my high school chemistry teacher, "Likes dissolve likes". Any guy concerned about bacteria after standing at the urinal may have other problems.

Anything requiring TP requires soap, no arguments there. And it seems that the majority of my brethren would agree from an unofficial survey.

Ross said...

For a man a rinse is more than acceptable after #1. I guarantee you my junk is cleaner than that faucet handle, the door knob and that sandwich you ate for lunch. If anything men should wash their hands before #1.

Liz said...

If you're touching/holding/even getting close to your private parts, you need to wash your hands with soap.

Urine may be sterile, but that doesn't mean you are. Who knows where your genitals have been. If you touch them, you should use soap.

Am I right?

Royalcow said...

I know where mine have been. I defer to Ross above.

ToddS said...

Only on the Internets can my sister and two co-workers get into a fight over post-relieving hand washing practices.

If I may offer my final judgement: I side with my sister. I don't care how clean you think you are, it's just common decency to use soap regardless of what you did.

Andy and Ross: remind me not to shake hands with either of you two. Ever.

Ross said...

Hah. My argument is purely theoretical, as I adhere to societies rules and wash my hands after all bathroom stops. (As Andy mentioned we're not going to get into bar bathroom etiquette, and I'm not going to share what's necessary on 6 day hike). I will admit sometimes I just rinse instead of using soap. Liz, if we ever meet I will settle for a pound, Howie Mandell Style, if you don't want to shake my hand, heck we could even have an awkward wave.

At this point I would like to share a major breech of bathroom etiquette, of which I was the victim. I was waiting in a long line at a bar and one of the urinals not flushing. Water was starting to build up, but it wasn't overflowing. As I waited this was the only empty urinal and I yielded to pressure from the line behind me and went in it. About half way through my business an employee puts his hand on my shoulder and says "Hey you can't use that urinal."

Normally I would be upset, but it gave me a legitimate reason to use one of my favorite Dumb and Dumber lines: "I can't stop once I've started, it stings!"

Liz said...

I just consulted my husband on the matter, and he said this, "Well, you don't want to shake a guy's hand and have to worry if there's smegma residue on it, which is highly possible if there has been any skin-to-skin contact between hand and uncircumcised penis."

He aslo wanted me to add that he is circumcised.

So do the ladies at NI (and my big bro) a favor and wash with soap.

Todd said he'd kick me off his blog if I used the P-word. So we'll how long this comment stays up.

Double M said...

I think you can get around using the "p-word" by saying "cod piece." Its family appropriate, has a 'p' in it, and passes Todd's rule.

D Wheezy said...

First of all, I just want to say that this comment section is awesome.

On the subject of "Rinse" versus "Soap". I shower in the morning. I put on clean boxers that have been washed using detergent and then placed in my hermetically sealed storage facility (aka: wooden dresser). Between daily bathroom my junk does not leave my boxers (typically). Therefore, it's about as clean as the rest of my clothed body. Honestly, I should be washing my hands BEFORE I urinate, considering (as Ross mentioned) all the stuff my hands touch during a day that have been nowhere near soap they left the manufacturing floor (my laptop keyboard, for example).

In summary, rinsing is ok in certain situations. Like when there is no soap or you're running late for an episode of LOST. Urinal usage is more likely to require soap, on account of the splash back issues that may occur. But stall urination with a foot flush - rinsing is A Ok.

Liz said...

I'm very frustrated that no other women have commented on the rinse vs. soap issue. Because I guarantee you that they would agree with me.

ToddS said...

I guess I must be the weird one amongst my male blournal readers, since the only part of my body that consistently smells not-so-fresh 12 hours after a shower, regardless of its concealment in clean underwear, is my stiz-uff.

Whatever substance it is that causes the odor (smegma, vermunda, whatev), it isn't something I want to pass on to friends. I don't care about germs, I'm much more concerned about that toxin.

And let's be honest, Wheezy, your junk is no playground...and I'm pretty sure that the same could be said for all the other dudes on this thread.

USE SOAP!!!

Liz said...

I have to commend my brother on his courage to admit he is disgusting. I lived with him for years, so I know he is filthy and smelly first-hand.

In my experience, men always think they are more clean than they really are. So i'm not shocked by so many of you who claim that you have impeccable hyigene.

While I haven't met you guys, I still wouldn't be so sure.

I really wish there was another girl who would back me up on this. Todd, recruit Katie to help me out. After all, she has witnessed you in all your grime for years now.

Unknown said...

Well played all around. I agree with Todd and Liz that you should always wash with soap, even in #1. Urine may be sterile but it still smells like urine.

I would like to reiterate the importance of the “T” zone. Sometimes we find a rookie going to get to the left or right of the “T” and then trying to cut corners on the way down to make it the “Y” zone. No way. Not cool. You’re on your way to getting punched in the face. Return to center, young man, and THEN look down.

Caes said...

Haha, excellent (and very true) article man, I look forward to the next installments (Also, I'm a rinse only).

I've written a similar sort of article (but not nearly as good) on bathroom etiquette, if anyone has a few minutes to kill and low standards:

http://www.voont.com/manners1

Thanks.

pauly said...

I am chiming in a year later to defend liz and her sensibilities.

I have traveled the world and I have to say men are disgusting no matter where you go...

You need to use soap if there is some, you need to care that you are peeing all over the floor and walls and you need to care that your "junk, weinie, lotus, lily "is not as clean or flowery smelling as you might be hoping.

Be neater and wash often and stay healthier.

BTW, fun blog and lots of good reading.

http://www.thebathroomdiaries.com/

pauly said...

I am chiming in a year later to defend liz and her sensibilities.

I have traveled the world and I have to say men are disgusting no matter where you go...

You need to use soap if there is some, you need to care that you are peeing all over the floor and walls and you need to care that your "junk, weinie, lotus, lily "is not as clean or flowery smelling as you might be hoping.

Be neater and wash often and stay healthier.

BTW, fun blog and lots of good reading.

http://www.thebathroomdiaries.com/